Friday, March 19, 2010

The Brontes Went to Woolworths by Rachel Ferguson

Set in 1930s London, this is the story of the Carnes family, three sisters who live with their widowed mother. The eldest, Dierdre, a journalist, is the narrator. Katrine is a struggling actress and Sheil is still in the schoolroom. They are not wealthy but of an educated class and the daughters of a "gentleman". The most striking their about them is the fantasy world that weaves in and out of their everyday lives. All the members of the family share imaginary friends based on dolls, toys, and sometimes real people they have briefly encountered. They have long, ongoing discussions of the daily doings of these people, discussing them as you would old friends with whom you are in daily contact. I found this very confusing to follow at first. Interspersed with this is a seance and ghostly visitors. During a vacation in Yorkshire, the Brontes make an appearance, although frankly, I had to read this portion twice to get what was happening. When her mother is called to jury duty, Dierdre is taken with the judge, Sir Herbert Toddington, and soon "Toddy" and his wife "Lady Mildred" have joined their fantasy world. But things begin to change when the family actually meets them. The story seems to shift at this point, moving at a quicker pace, and I found my interest growing. As their friendship with the Toddingtons develops, and the Brontes return with a disturbing result, the family has to look at the effect all of this is having on the youngest daughter. Although I was off to a shaky start at the beginning of the book, I found myself increasingly caught up in the story.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This one sounds far out.
    I already have "Wench" and "All Over Creation" ... I guess I'll have to wait to order this one. My library requests came all at once.
    I'll be back when I've read more !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be very curious to hear what you think of this one. This was re-released as part of a Bloomsbury Group series and I was asked to read and review. Apparently the author wrote three other novels (all in the 1930s) but I haven't read any of those yet. But they are on my list!

    ReplyDelete